Subject: [Leica] Re: Single Malt and Leica
From: Herbert Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:17:52 -0700

As long as we're on a slightly OT binge, I recall asking about a year
ago whether it was ok to drink Bushmill's, and I was told that it was
ok only if it was the 16 yr old single malt, "after all, we're Leica
users."  I think it was likely Ted Grant who came up with that.

I want to put in a plug for it. Also to thank Ted for the head's up.
During 1970-1979 I lived in England.  For a long time, I couldn't
find Bushmill's in local liquor stores--part of the English belief at
the time that nothing good could possibly come out of Ireland.
Ultimately I found it and liked it--I'll bet it was the good stuff
and at a reasonable price.

Well, in the Year of our Lord 2001 a friend from W. Va came visiting
and insisted that I buy Jameson's--of course the cheap blend.  I
didn't like it much and when it was all gone I ran out and bought a
bottle of Bushmill's; didn't like that much either.  Then I noticed
that the label said "blended." I did a search of the local popular
liquor stores and the best I could find was a 10-yr old single malt.
That wasn't much better.  It also was only 50% more expensive.
Finally, I found the kind of place which had the 16-yr old stuff at
$50 to $70 (US) per bottle, depending on which store and when.  Well,
that stuff is a very different breed of cat, and I've become addicted
to it.  Try it.

Herb
- --
Herbert Kanner