Subject: Re: [Leica] 180mm Elmarit-R question
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:33:12 -0600

Hi Jim,

I can't answer your question with respect to all three of these lenses
but I do own both the current 80-200/4 and 180/2.8. No question the
180/2.8 out performs the 80-200 at 200 from f 4 through f11. I've not
had the need (or desire) to stop down beyond f11, even with 1600 iso
film on a bright summer day. That said; the 80-200/4 is one of the best
performing zooms in Leica's stable and a relatively speaking low price.
A zoom lens is more versatile and the 80-200 is easier to handle and carry.

If you don't need the speed buy the 80-200 and invest your savings in
fast film.

Regards,

Greg