Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW: Model shoot (non-Leica)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:03:38 -0700

bdcolen noted:
>>> Hey, Phong - I MUCH prefer the grab shot - It shows the model as a
> personality; it's imaginative. <<<

Hi Phong,
I'm with B. D. on this also, as it has a warm fun feeling to it. Besides the
lighting on the set portrait makes her appear lifeless and stereotypical
"what it should look like by numbers!"

When you light a portrait, light it how "you feel" and not necessarily how
the instructor and numbers tell you. However I wish to clarify this by
saying, one should learn what the instructor demonstrates or whatever you
learn from books, as this is how we all began... basically lighting a
portrait as every other portrait is lit by "numbers." Once you've go that
under your belt that's when in some cases you throw it all out and do what
your creative eye tells you and your gut feeling for the subject. :-)
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant