Subject: RE: [Leica] Alpa question
From: "Buzz Hausner" <buzz.hausner@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:16:42 -0400

Some thirty-five and more years ago I was taught photography by an old
woman named Litze Von Miklos.  Litze was a professional and made much of
her income illustrating garden and nature books and articles.  She used
Alpa for all of her small format work because, she said, they were
always "there" when she needed them and the lenses were the best
available (in 1966) for single lens reflex cameras.  In particular, she
needed a macro to take flower "portraits."

I had the privilege of free use of Litze's kit and took many fine
pictures with the Kern Macro-Switar.  I can't put my hands on any of
those images right now, but I recall they had a bokeh which made
macro-photographs of individual flowers just "pop," which was the
quality Litze sought for her published work.  When I bought a very early
Nikon macro (55mm/f3.5 me thinks?), Litze said, "...those are very nice
pictures, Buzz, but they show no heart."  She was right; the
Macro-Switar was a very soulful lens, indeed.

I hope you can find a body on which to mount your Macro-Switar, if you
don't expect the edge carving sharpness and contrast of modern lenses,
you should find the results very pleasing and impossible to reproduce
with contemporary units.  Too bad all of the late
- -Sixties-oh-so-nearly-pastel Ektachrome is gone.

	Buzz Hausner