Subject: Re: Re[4]: [Leica] OT: Frank Dernie back at Williams
From: Steve LeHuray <steve@streetphoto.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:41:32 -0400

> Hello Steve,
> Yes, those were the days of gentlemen racers. I am reminded of it
> every day because the calendar in my office is a wonderful collection
> of black & white images taken by Jesse Alexander. I would be willing
> to bet they were taken with Leicas. Another famous motor racing
> photographer of the period was Louis Klementaski and I know that he
> used Leicas. Louis was often co-pilot with some of the Ferrari drivers
> in the Mille Miglia and the Targa Florio. It was a glorious era.
> Cordially
> Kurt Miska

Hi Kurt,

I was a fanatical fan in those days and in 1963 had press credentials to the
F1 race at the Glen. Rubbed shoulders with Jim Clark, Phil Hill, Graham
Hill, Sterling Moss, John Surtees and other greats. I had no Leica, instead
a Petri RF. But, I was too much in awe to take any pictures. Sadly my MG A
blew its engine on the way home.

sl