Subject: [Leica] WAS: Focusing a 75 1.4 -- NOW ERIC's comment
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:28:02 -0700

Eric said:
> Pre-leica, I had a Nikon FE2 and macro (nikon's "micro") 55mm lens.
> It was the finest combo I ever owned, and I regretted it after selling
> them off.
> Although I love my M7, I could never reproduce the same portrait close
> up.  IE, rangefinders just can't cut it when photographing under 3 ft.
> subject distance.
> I have found that an SLR and a rangefinder are a lovely duo.
> But of course, ever restless, I am playing with medium format now..<<<<

Eric me old son,
Aren't you comparing apples and oranges with the equipment comparison?

You and I know the M7 and other M's do not focus as close as an SLR, Nikon
or Leica, certainly "comparing a macro lens with a non-macro M lens."

And although I can understand the differences of look and distance of focus
relationship, I can't imagine you'd attempt to use the equipment in similar
fashion when one wont do what the other will? Certainly in focusing
distance, then complain about buying the Leica gear. And why you don't sell
the Leica stuff and go back to an SLR Nikon or otherwise.

I use whatever I have in my hands at the time to do the right job for the
assignment and I rarely have a problem with an M when used for the correct
reason, portraits or other wise.

It's understanding the limitations of each lens and camera body and where
they work most effectively that makes life very easy for any photographer.
And if I found I was not capturing what I wanted due to the equipment and my
lack of ability in managing the gear I'd get rid of it and move onto
something else.

However, I notice you're "playing with new toys:"
>>> But of course, ever restless, I am playing with medium format now..<<<<

So this post may be meaningless. Pity! ;-)
ted