Subject: Re: [Leica] Further digital exploration
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:12:36 -0700

Right on, Henning!  We need another Maitani to bring some sanity to the
market.  Am I the only one that thinks a compact professional digicam is a
great idea?  And no, the Olympus E thing doesn't qualify.  I had high hopes
that it would be much more compact.  Even wondered if they'd brought Maitani
back in a consulting role.  But the E doesn't seem much smaller than the
Canon 10D.  The market is polarized between behemoths that can deliver great
quality and P&S digicams that are a waste of time.

Gee, I always thought that electronics were supposed to make things lighter
and more compact.  I don't know about you, but I simply cannot travel with
SLRs as large and heavy as those we now have.  More specifically, I guess,
it's the lenses.  As I look in my Canon kit, it's the 70-200 f2.8 IS USM
that really adds alot of weight.  The thing weighs some 2kg!  Maybe it just
seems like the gear has gotten heavier because we expect so much more than
we did in the OM era.

- --Jim

Message from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Further digital exploration)