Subject: [Leica] Review of small camera bag
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:13:53 -0700

Robert Meier's question on the LUG has prompted me into writing this
little review of the Tamrac Digital 6 photo bag (model #5696).  To see
the official information for this, see:

	http://www.tamrac.com/5696.htm

The usual disclaimers apply: I don't work for Tamrac, don't get a cut
of their sales, etc., etc.

I wanted a bag that would fit the following: Leica M2 with VC meter +
RapidWinder + 35/50mm lens + lens hood.  The "SLR" style bags (with the
camera bag facing the top and the lens pointing down) is not useful,
because it is far too awkward getting the camera out of the bag.  The
bag I wanted should hold the camera with the back towards the back of
the bag, lens pointing "outwards" or "forwards", and one side pointing
up, making it very easy to grip.  The critical dimension thus becomes
the width, since the lens is pointing forward, and many little cases
are simply too narrow.  I wanted something that provided some padding
(during my commute to work, it gets throw into my backpack along with
books & computers when I'm cycling) and I wanted something that would
have a shoulder strap.

The reason for wanting such a bag, other than the morning commute, is
that I've found that it is inconvenient to carry a "naked" camera on a
number of occasions -- provided you wish to carry a camera at all
times.  Cinemas are not happy about letting people with cameras into
the theatres, for example.  I use it for transportation: when I'm
actually taking pictures, the camera is in my hand between shots.

The bag is made of black nylon and gives a solid, quality impression.
Zips appear to be good quality and work smoothly.  The lid has a little
handle on it (which is a remarkably useful feature I've discovered,
even on a bag this small), there is a belt-loop on the back, and two
D-rings for the (supplied) carrying strap on the sides.  The internal
dimensions (WxDxH) are 15 x 9 x 15 cm (5.75 x 3.5 x 5.74 inches) and
external are 16 x 14 x 18 cm (6.25 x 5.5 x 7 inches).  According to
Tamrac, it weighs in at 300g (11 oz).

I've lived with the Digital 6 now for about three weeks.  In addition
to the single body, winder, and lens combo (which also works with the
Bessa T + Winder + VF + lens + hood) the front pocket holds 4-6 rolls
of 35mm film.  I tape two plastic film containers back-to-back and fit
two or three of those in there.  My Sekonic L-308B-II meter fits in
that pocket too, while two plastic Leitz filter holders go into the
top, front pocket.  Inside the lid is a little, flat pocket covered in
clear plastic, in which I've put a business card.

Basically, the little bag works great.  It holds what I need it to and
does so pretty securely.  I really only have two gripes: There are
velcro strips on the inside of the main compartment, which is odd,
since I can't imagine that *anything* would fit in it if you tried
placing dividers in there, and sometimes a lens hood angle will catch
on these (especially the square hoods.  My other is that I probably
would have preferred this bag without the external front pocket that
adds just over an inch of thickness (3 cm or so).

I got mine for about $35 + tax in a local camera shop.  They're
probably cheaper online, but I needed to see if my camera would fit, so
I decided to buy locally.

For my day-to-day, always-carry-a-camera-photography, I pick a body, a
lens, and a film, and try to use it for a week or two.  So, I don't
need any room for additional lenses or bodies.  When travelling, or on
longer "expeditions", I use my Billingham Hadley Pro or Billingham
Packington bags.  For transport and protection during such everyday
use, I'm very happy with this little bag.

M.