Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux vs Summicron vs Elmarit
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:29:37 -0700

Tom, there are a number of links which I think you'd find extremely
useful.  First is the "Leica Answers" page which has some answers to
oft asked questions on the LUG:

	http://teachnet.edb.utexas.edu/~leica/

Then there is Andrew Nemeng's superb Leica FAQ list:

	http://www.nemeng.com/leica/index.shtml

If you have concerns about lens construction, image quality, etc., then
visiting Erwin Puts site is useful for its wealth of technical
information:

	http://www.imx.nl/

(One note: the black illustrations on the left hand side ("Leica" and
"Technique") are actually links to sections -- so there is more
information on this site than the list of links on the right hand side
of the page would suggest.)

Finally, there is the LUG Archives with the search engine:

	http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/

Specifically, information on the R 50s can be found in the following
links:

	http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/rseries/testr/r14-50.html
	http://homepage1.nifty.com/RLFC/PlaywLense/pwlensemenu.html

The latter is in Japanese, but it's a very useful site if you ever find
yourself thinking, "hmm, I wonder what a photo taken with the XX mm
f/YY Leica lens looks like".

Finally, if you're serious about Leicas, I'd recommend getting hold of
three books:

	The Leica Collectors Guide
	The Leica Pocket Book
	The Leica Accessory Guide

All are by Dennis Laney and are excellent for answering questions about
Leica minutae (although not image quality) such as years of
manufacture, lens types, optical construction, accessories, model
numbers, hoods, etc.

M.