Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux vs Summicron vs Elmarit
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:29:55 -0400

Tom Christiansen wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Regarding the 50mm lenses for the R system: What are people's opinions
> on the different types (f/1.4, 2, 2.8)?

Tom,

In the Leica world, the best-performing lens at a given focal length is
usually the one most recently updated by Leica.

This being the LUG, I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I
believe that that the current 50mm Summicrons are equivalent in their M
and R versions. That is to say, they have both been updated relatively
recently.

However, the M Summilux is a relatively dated design while the R version
is more recent.

Here is what Erwin has to say on the subject of the Summilux R:

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/rseries/testr/r14-50.html

Make of it what you will :-).

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014