Subject: RE: Re[2]: [Leica] The titanium Leica
From: "Clive Moss" <chmphoto@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 00:28:30 -0500

There is a good reason to think about titanium as a camera material. It is
lighter than the alternatives. The fact that a process is costly is not
usually considered a deterrent to its use by Leica.  Titanium is used for
watches -- and they are light weight -- I have  a titanium Breitling. Just
because a process is costly and Leica does not have the know-how to apply it
does not make it unthinkable.
OTOH, the finish on the Titanium Leica is pretty tough -- and I do own one
- -- and I bought it used for no premium over a regular M6 -- as far as one
can tell from market prices.
All current production Leicas are priced based on the Barnum dictum. There
are enough old ones around to satisfy the needs of all actual users, I would
guess.
- --
Clive
http://clive.moss.net