Subject: [Leica] Voightlander lenses; 50 1.5, 28 1.9, and 75 2.5
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:01:47 -0700

At 03:01 PM 7/22/03 -0700, Jack McLain wrote:
>What's the scoop on the Voightlander 50 f1.5, 28 f1.9, and the 75 2.5?  Are
>these as good as advertized?
>thanks

Jack:  I have the 50/1.5 Nokton, and I'm very happy with it.  I consider it
a specialty lens for available light.  It is very good at medium apertures,
too, but the 50/2 Summicron is just plain superb, with noticeably more
"sparkle" and subtlety of gradation.

The Nokton has an edgier, wirier look in the out-of-focus areas (bokeh)
than the Summilux or Summicron.  In particular, out of focus highlights can
take on a very sharp edge, rather than fading away.  This is its downfall
for some Leicaphiles.

The Nokton is a bit sharper overall than the Summilux wide-open.  The
Summilux has that classic smooth Leica look, the Nokton appears more
modern.  This is all very subtle--shooting technique and lighting make more
of a difference.

Some of the Voigtlander lenses have quality control variations, and can be
slightly decentered.  This can lead to one side of the picture being
slightly less sharp than the other.  So if you buy one, you should test it
with slow film on a tripod, and return it if you find yours is
decentered.  Leica lenses usually do not have this issue.

Here are some Nokton pictures, taken at last year's LHSA gathering in
Portland.  Many were taken under very dull, poor light.  And no, the irony
of shooting the LHSA with a Voigtlander lens was not lost on me, but I was
decidedly not the only one doing it.

http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/lhsa2002/13henning.htm
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/lhsa2002/14tuulikki.htm
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/lhsa2002/21leicarose.htm