Subject: Re: [Leica] IIIf and Summitar f:2.... what should I do with this thing?
From: "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:54:49 -0700

well my poor choice of the words "fool around" perhaps suggests that I am
not serious about my photography. I might not be good.. but I AM serious ;-)

I thought of the protocol you are suggesting, and may still do it, but I
like to shoot without thinking a lot about the gear.  I want to think about
exposures and composition not "what the hell is this little dial for?"

This IIIf is - in my hands anyway - a clunker.  A beautifully machined and
lovely clunker, but a clunker nonetheless.  I doubt I would ever get relaxed
with it to the extent that I could use it instinctivly and on equal footing
to the M6.

I know there are photographers that totally enjoy working the really old
stuff and I think that's great. I suspect that one of them might better
appreciate using this camera than I would.  I like the idea of using a
non-metered classic body that closely matches the M6 in layout giving me
fewer motion options and a shallower learning curve to get into that
(hand-eye-mental calculation-shutter tripping) automatic mode. Thus..... the
M4, and M2 (or maybe the M3) lust I am suffering from.

On the other hand.... I've owned this IIIf for so long it seems somehow
weird to not own it any longer.  As you can see I am confused.

cheers
Jack McLain
Tucson, AZ
http://jackmclain-photography.dotcommunity.net