Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:37:52 -0700

Frank,
I've been at the technology game a long time.  Just like outdated software,
outdated high tech gadgets like DSLRs are practically worthless once they
ahve been outdated.  Perhaps I'm overreacting a little, as the current crop
of DSLRs, like the Canon 10D have reached a plateau of sorts.  They are good
enough that substantial improvements in image quality, construction,
interface, etc., is likely to take a while - at least in the $1500 per body
range.

But yes, use and throw away...that's the sad truth.  I have literally piles
of computer gear, old 2 and 4x SCSI CD burners, readers, tape drives, hard
drives, monitors, keyboards, old network equipment from before the days of
twisted pair, 1 megapixel cameras, etc.  All worthless.  These DSLRs are no
different.

It was my long experience in the technology world and my disgust with rapid
obsolescence that resulted in my interest in the Leica M in the first place.
It was a refuge of sorts, a way to slow down and think about pictures.  If I
sound cynical about digital it's because my little refuge from our
disposable culture is being violated by these damned digital cameras.

- --Jim Laurel