Subject: [Leica] Saving Leica-digital RF system?
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:50:17 -0700

The only thing that will save Leica is a digital M body or some other
product that eploits the niche that has always been the domain of the M
camera - compact size with extremely high quality results.  For now, let's
call it a digital M, whether or not it uses the existing M lenses or would
require a whole new range of "digital RF" lenses.

Leica have no inherent advantages in the DSLR or P&S digicam markets.  They
are too small, slow, and poor to compete against the likes of Canon and
Nikon.  Without a digital M, what does Leica really have to offer that
differentiates them from competing manufacturers?  A digital M is the only
thing that would give them a unique value proposition that none of thier
competitors could match - a complete professional-grade rangefinder system
offering the highest quality digital output in a compact package.

Ok, reality check.  We've all heard about how a digital M is not possible
with current sensors technology.  First of all, I am confident that one day
sensor technology will make a digital M possible.  And second, perhaps there
is a way to do an interesting product within the constraints of current
technology.

If not a digital M in the traditional sense, then how about a completely new
digital rangefinder system, with the RF based on the M6/7, but utilizing a
smaller sensor and smaller lenses designed specifically for digital capture.
This is along the lines of what Nikon is doing.  But let's have manual
focusing lenses, with a proper rangefinder, and no anti-aliasing filter,
just like the DMR.  And most importantly, let's make it as compact as
possible.  At the typical RF focal lengths  of 21-135mm (35mm
equivalents) ), the system should produce blisteringly great results that
exceed the capabilities of the Canon EOS1Ds.  Now that is a unique
proposition that I would gladly pay for, and I don't think I'm alone.

Customers are always willing to pay a premium for tangible benefit.

- --Jim Laurel