Subject: [Leica] Focussing Noctilux etc
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:56:46 +1000

I tried posting this on the list a couple of days ago, but it wouldn't
stick.  Here's another attempt ....   It might have been a problem with
italics.

Hi Ted,

sorry for my slow response to your reply on this. I used to think the
rangefinders I had might have been off, but the results were too
consistent between bodies, across a variety of lenses and experienced
by other photographers to leave it at that. So I did a little layman's
research.

Upon testing the lenses for focussing accuracy, the bodies and lenses
come up fine. I did notice however that the bulk of the zone that is
acceptably in focus is behind the point of focus. No surprise here -
the 1/3 in front to 2/3 behind rule applies. And herein lies the
difference between using a rangefinder camera and using an SLR with a
ground glass screen.

When I use an R camera with ground glass, I twist the lens to bring the
focal plane slightly in front of the subject and then move it back
until the subject's eye is just in focus. This tends to leave the focal
point slightly ahead of the eye, as I have put the middle of the
in-focus zone on the eye. But with a rangefinder, the practice is to
superimpose the patch images, which means that 1/3 of the zone or depth
will be in front of that point (or eye) and 2/3 behind. So if I want to
get a result with a properly calibrated rangefinder that resembles what
I would get with an SLR, I would need to tweak the rangefinder's lens
ever so slightly clockwise after focussing properly, to bring the focal
point closer.

Drawing it out on paper makes it easy to see how one gets different
results with SLR vs rangefinder and how this approach works. Once I'd
figured it out, practicing it simply proved it. I get far fewer shots
with the zone of best focus on the subject's temple or ear rather than
on the eye these days. Works for me.

Regards, Rick Dykstra, Australia.