Subject: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts
From: Bill Barton <wbill@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:55:03 -0400

I think we all need to calm down on this, letting Leica know we disagree
with their decision is fine.  My take on this is it's based on $$ this
will not make us feel any better but this is my thought.

Europe is in a bigger recession then the US is right now and Germany is
really feeling it badly. If you had a company that was not turning a
profit and you had already cut overhead i.e. employees to the min what
is the next thing to cut?? Inventory!! So you cut back on the spare
parts you carry.  But you still want to handle repairs so you keep your
limited spare parts inventory for yourself, as you have a higher cash
flow with the in-house repairs.  Just look at what is the big thing in
the automotive world these days, the parts appear just in time to be
assembled, no inventory.  Also Leica has to pay taxes each year based on
what they have in inventory.... negative cash flow.

If Leica does not get there house in order they won't be around for us
to not buy cameras from them because they won't sell us parts...

I don't like this either, but Leica is trying to stay alive.....

wbill

Replies: Reply from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts)