Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:07:15 -0400

> Exactly. Strategy versus tactics. Win the battle and lose the war.
>
> JB
>
> On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 01:56 PM, Clive Moss wrote:
>
> > Leica is simply making another misstep in a long line of missteps. It
> > has
> > failed to respond competitively to several rounds of "disruptive
> > technologies" in the Clay Christenson sense. What appears to be
> > reasonable
> > tactical management can often be awful strategic management.
> > See e.g. http://www.disruptivetechnologies.com/ccinterview.html
> > Kodak seems to be going down the same path, as did Polaroid.
>
> --
> John Brownlow

As both a newbie to Leica (with no Leica baggage) and as a person with over
20 years of experience in the business world, I have a slightly different
take on this topic.

Leica is probably the only company in the world providing active support of
products that are 25-35-50+ years old.  B.D. a.k.a. "Mr. Sunshine" compares
the Leica decision about parts sales to individuals to requiring owners of
new automobiles to get repair service only at dealerships.  This analogy is
flawed.  Try taking your classic 356 Porsche or '55 Chevy today to a dealer
to get it repaired.  Not even B.D.'s charm could pull this off.

The real issue here is not some kind of corporate bumbling, or conspiracy to
squeeze out the independent repair folks, or any other act of malfeasance by
Leica.  How many years have elapsed since many of these Leica camera parts
were last produced?  Is Leica willing to retool production to make more
rangefinders for the M3, or shutter assemblies for the SL2?  Or willing to
contract a third party to manufacture a limited production run?  In a time
and in an industry driven more than ever by "disruptive technologies" (to
borrow a phrase) and economic challenges, this is absurd.

The simple fact is Leica is running out of many spare parts after all of
these years of support.  Leica is in a no win situation with this.
Eliminating sales of parts to individuals may not be the result the Leica
classic user wants in the short term, however, it's the only decision that
makes any sense from a company perspective.  Eliminating sales of dwindling
parts inventory to individuals insures that Leica has access to any
remaining stock so that Leica is in a better position to continue its
support of its antique models.

Gary

Replies: Reply from "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts)
Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts)