Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V25 #98
From: Craig Zeni <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:03:28 -0400

>Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:58:49 -0700
>From: "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW wk 30/sl/the story about this picture
>
>>  I am very surprised at how many comments this picture generated. So for a
>>  little bit of background:
>
>you should'net be; it's a good shot
>>
>>  As an expatriate New Yorker living south of the Mason-Dixon line I have
>>  cravings for hot-corned beef on rye with lots of yellow mustard, deli
>>  pickles, the smell and feel of the hundreds of mom & pop Delis in New York
>>  City.
>
>Oh... how I know that exact feeling.  NYC was where I spent my formative
>years and I miss the place dearly.

Never lived there, but have spent a LOT of time in NYC.  Each trip
involves a pilgrimage to either the 2nd Ave Deli or to Katz's for
pastrami on rye w/ mustard, a fried knish and cream soda.  Mercy.

>I recently spent 5 years in North Carolina.  There are NO Delis there,
>despite several wannabe establishments that somewhat capture the ambience
>(but fake, like a movie set, not the organic reality that only comes from
>growing in the proper substrate).

Closest thing we have here in the Raleigh are that I'm aware of is
Horowitz's...and in a nod to local realities they serve Virginia ham.

>OTOH... They have barbeque (Eastern Carolina vinegar based) which I grew to
>appreciate in a major way.

Glad to hear that.  You must have been no farther west than
Raleigh...any further west and the sauce goes red Lexington style.
But eastern is The Holy Grub.

>I will go farther than you; I dont believe rear diners exist anywhere
>outside of the northeast, and I dont believe one can get real pizza outside
>of a 40 mile radius of Nutley, NJ (with a second smaller nucleus centered in
>Chicago). Pineapple Pizza... good god...

We got some good Noo Yawkers that have moved in here and they do a
decent NYC-style pie...they even deliver so we don't have to put up
with the chain-store swill.

>Thanks for more of your "deli" shots.

Seconded!
- --
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.trainweb.org/zeniphotos/zenihome.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

WARNING:  Above message may contain nuts or nut products.