Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:22:04 -0500

>With availability of parts the issue, would Leica sell the old tooling
>(assuming it even exists today) to a third party?  There are copyright and
>control issues as well as a bunch of legal stuff that would likely make this
>unattractive to a third party.

You can't copyright parts, they don't fall under copyright law.

Some manufacturers try to protect their parts with patents (c.f. the
Big Three) but the courts have taken a dim view unless it's something
really original. I.e., you can't patent a wind lever unless it is
doing something novel.

Anyway, patents only last 17 years from the date of patent. So
anything pre-M6 TTL is no longer under patent protection.

Which is why Kanto Corp in Japan can manufacture lika-Leica parts for
all they want.

Karen Nakamura
www.photoethnography.com

Message from "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts)