Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak to cut up to 6,000 jobs
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn.mail@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:14:01 -0700

Eric,

The R8/R9 Digital back is vaporware. It's not in production and not
scheduled to be available for over a year. Even then, more than $1000 to
replace the back sounds (to me) more like replacing the camera than the
film...

Re Kodak: Changing the software that processes the image is not the same as
changing the sensor used to capture it. To the best of my knowledge, sensors
are not yet programmable. When (and if) they are, you'll still need to buy a
new camera to get the upgraded sensor.

I'd love to see a digital cassette that allowed me to replace the sensor the
way I replace film. It could be a bit more expensive, since I'd still save
money (and time) compared to film.

Mike Quinn