Subject: [Leica] My Leica DIED! Meter gone, strange noise, a light leak and LEDS don't go off.
From: mikko.kalavainen@fotosaarinen.fi
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 12:53:41 +0300

Oh boy.
Leica M6Classic.
Meter: Suggests 1/1000sec and an aperture of about f11, even in near
darkness. Changed the battery. Checked ASA-dial. Nothing. In the
viewfinder, the other arrow doesn't go out completely. It sort of
glows when it's not lighted. Can't see it in daylight, but when it
gets darker, it's clearly visible.

Makes a weird noise at the faster times. Sort of a metallic "sproing"
at the end of the exposure. Like a tight spring. Never heard a sound
like that from an M. And I've heard and used quite a few.

Leaks light, possibly when exposed to direct sunlight.

Life just doesn't seem very good right now.

Is any of these faults "usual", are they very common? Anything I can
fix myself, or do I have to give my camera away for heaven knows how
long?

Ohno. I think I'm going to cry a bit now. I bought the bloody thing
about a month ago. If I didn't love taking pictures with it SO much,
I'd get rid of it NOW. But it's so nice.

Sorry for the doublepost on photo.net, but I'm desperate.

- --
        Mikko Kalavainen
mikko.kalavainen@fotosaarinen.fi
    www.fotosaarinen.fi/mikko