Subject: Re: [Leica] MP's top plate
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:03:59 -0700 (PDT)

Frank Filippone <red735i@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hey Guys and Gals... the fact that the top is not engraved
> has nothing to do with using the camera.  It has to do with
> getting a proper value for your $2500.... Can you imnagine
> what you would say if Leica produced their new whoopie doo
> lens with a plastic barrel?  Even if it were more stable, more
> break resisitant, etc.. I could hear the screams now.....  So
> look at this issue as one of value for money, not a
> useability issue....

so what is 'value for money' - especially when the item in question is a Leica?  IMHO 'value for money' is highly subjective.  I might value a bright viewfinder, analog meter readout and continuously-variable shutter, someone else values automated features, which I despise.  The other guy will get more value for the money with a Konica, I'd get more for my money with an M5.

For $2,500 I'd want a camera that works perfectly and stays out of my way.  Engraved script on the top plate would be kewl but as long as the numbers on the various dials and rings stay readable the technology or process used to put them there means little to me.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com