Subject: Re: [Leica] MP's tp plate
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:04:13 -0500

I toyed with buying the Contax SLR system before deciding on the Leica R
system.  The big thing I found talking to Contax dealers was trouble
getting support for the cameras and lenses.  It turned out that Contax
would sell the system to dealers and then leave without any support of the
products to the dealers.

Gene

                      "Gary Williams"
                      <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.        To:       <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
                      com>                                cc:
                      Sent by:                            Subject:  Re: [Leica] MP's tp plate
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo
                      -alto.ca.us

                      07/27/2003 08:58 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

> The way things look verses the way they perform is an issue that has
> gone by me a few times this month.
>
> An example in mind is the lenses for the Contax RTS and the whole
> "Contax" SLR system's AF and otherwise.
> All painted numbers. Zeiss glass made in Japan. Bad combination.
> The lenses look like Vivitar's of decades gone by. They sure as hell
> don't look like Hasselblad or Rolleiflex 600 x glass.
> The glass are Zeiss designs which I'm sure are executed excellently. (An
> excellent execution!)

> Mark Rabiner

I owned and used Contax SLR for over 20 years and the build quality of the
lenses is outstanding, (and better than some of the new M glass I bought
earlier this year).  Zeiss/Contax made a conscious decision to be a little
more mass market than Leica and make the glass affordable to folks other
than to the economic elite.  From an optical standpoint Contax lenses are
equal or better than their Leica counterparts (often at a fraction of the
cost) until the latest round of ASPH glass from Leica (Contax no longer
designs new glass for the RTS system).  I got out of the Contax SLR system
because of a bad back---those heavy lenses and bodies and their tremendous
build quality were too much for me to carry any more.

It's dilettantes like you that give Leica a bad name.  If you think
engraving on a lens or a camera makes you a better shooter, well, I don't
need to add anything to your comment for anybody to see what a goddamn fool
you are.  And as they say, "a fool and his money are soon parted..."

Gary