Subject: Re: [Leica] R8-9 question for long exposures
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:22:01 -0500

Most electronic shutters have one or two mechanical positions as a backup
incase of electrical failure.  It usually the Flash Sync speed and B.  I
believe that is the case on my R4SP.

Gene

                      Dennis Painter
                      <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>            To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  Re: [Leica] R8-9 question for long exposures
                      -alto.ca.us

                      07/26/2003 08:46 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

langhans wrote:

> I was anticipating a lightning storm and got thinking - on the R8, is
there
> battery drain when you set the shutter to B and expose for long periods
of
> time, or is the battey used just to open and close the shutter and not
keep
> it open?  I sometimes like to take star trails for a few hours.
>
> This might also apply to the M-7.
>
> Aram

I think all electrically timed shutters require a working battery to hold
the
shutter open. I think this is a big issue with amateur astronomers using
film
cameras on their telescopes. That may be pretty dead now with lots of them
converting to CCDs to image.

Regards,
Dennis