Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 repair
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:56:04 -0400

Subject: [Leica] M3 repair

> Hi,
>
> My wife own an M3, which works well, but the telemeter is quite hazy and
> dim.

> I would like to open it and see what I can clean and adjust by myself.

> I have the technical repair sheets of Mr Romney, and see well what I have
> do to open it, but (because there is always a but in such matters) someone
> already tried to open it, as the screw in the bayonet has no more its
> protection
<snip>
> I know that the M3 rangefinder is not the same as the latter ones. So, If
> you have some advices on cleaning it and adjusting it, I will be very
> pleased to hear it (pay attention to this, the vertical adjusting system
is
> that one, turn this sense to lower, use preferentially this type of fluid
> clean dust or do not use any fluid etc.

> I never worked on M,
<snip>
> Thank you in advance

> Gregoire Vandenschrick

The M3 has arguably the most complex rangefinder system of any RF camera.
M3 spare parts are also relatively difficult to come by, in fact even Leica
no longer has any spare M3 rangefinder assemblies available.  Would you be
so cavalier if this were your own camera?  Reign in your male ego and send
your wife's camera to someone qualified to do the work.  Sherry Krauter
trading as Golden Touch, or Don Goldberg trading as DAG Camera Repair are
both Leica certified.  Virtually anyone on this list will verify the quality
of their work.   If you need directions, ask.

Gary