Subject: RE: [Leica] M camera NOW R camera ?
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:40:23 -0700

On 2003-07-29 bdcolen@earthlink.net (bdcolen) thoughtfully wrote:

>"Most capable?" Where's the autofocus? Where are the 35 1.4 and 28 1.4
>lenses? Where's the 10 fps motor? Where are any number of features that
>many, many, many - nay, countless - professional and non-professional
>photographers consider essential?
>
>This doesn't mean that the Rs aren't the perfect cameras for people who
>don't want the features the Rs "lack." But it does mean that it makes no
>sense to claim that they are the "most capable" without adding "for MY
>purposes." ;-)

You're on your high horse again B.D.

I read the phrase "optical instrument" as meaning the lens body system for
capturing light on film. I think he used the words quite precisely and in a way
which sets aside non-optical but useful features such as motor drives and
auto-focus.

If he were talking about telescopes I'd assume he was talking about the optics
and not things like star-trackers and mounting systems which are very much like
motor drives and auto-focus systems: nice but they have no impact on the quality
of the image captured on film, only on setting the circumstances by which the
image is captured.

Adam Bridge