Subject: Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:27:05 -0700

Karen Nakamura pointed out:
> Well, from a strictly anal (this *is* the LUG) perspective, you're wrong.
> > The focusing error on an M7 @ 1 meter will always be +/- 1 cm (to
> just pull a number out of thin air).
>  For a 35mm f/2 lens, that's covered by DOF amply.
> For a 50mm f/2 lens, that's covered by DOF.
> For a 75mm f/1.4 lens, we're starting to get to the point where
> either bounds of the +/- 1cm will be visible.
> So the focusing *accuracy* of a rangefinder is constant, it's just
> that that accuracy will be visible with certain lens combinations.<<<

To Karen and others arguing this or whatever, I have to ask this "anal
question?" ;-)

Do you folks run all these techie number things through your minds when
you're shooting? I mean do you run a thought check list of how much the R/F
is off or on with the lens you are using in the midst of photographing an
event with either a Leicaflex or an M?.

Or do you fire away at motivating moments with reckless abandon capturing
neat photographs ? Or as I do, hope I am. ;-)

As I've said many times in the past, I've gained a great deal of "techie"
knowledge from the LUG over the years, which in many cases I dismissed the
moment I stepped away from the screen to go on assignment. Why?

Well if I worried myself about the many things some of you folks bring-up,
I'd have missed 90% of the work produced over the years. Why? Well hell most
of the above stuff on rangefinder baselines and focus amounts of error don't
mean diddily when you're being shot at or shooting sports and many other
subjects simply because, it's capturing the content that matters in the end.

And I suppose if you are snapping a flower with all the time in the world it
may make a difference, but in the real world of earning your living a techie
overload distracts your mind away from what you are supposed to be doing...
taking good photographs of motivating moments.

Do you suppose Gene Smith, Bob Capa or HCB knew all this stuff? Or gave a
flying hoop about it? Not likely.

However, on a positive note. I thank many of you for presenting your
knowledge of camera operating systems and many other aspects from the
technical side of photography over the years, as in quiet times I found it
quite fascinating. But during a heated shooting session it's mainly
forgotten.
 ted

Replies: Reply from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> (Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...)
Reply from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> (Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...)