Subject: Re: [Leica] M camera NOW R camera ?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 07:41:07 -0700

Red Dawn ? said:  re:  Jim Nachtwey:
> ok that's interesting news - the fact he also uses Leica M. His recent
Iraq
> portfolio is all digital though. i wonder if he still uses his M actively
> now.........<<<

The next time you see him why not ask him. ;-)

> I brought up his name precisely because i happen to have a chance to meet
> him at a recent TIME magazine hosted workshop he conducted. (yes i too
> sneaked a few shots of him with my M! :)) <<<

Why sneak them he's a photographer like all of us, the only difference is
he's had some opportunities many on this list haven't. The next time do it
right,  just tell him you want to take his picture, then do it. After all
he's not going to rip your head off as he's done that to all kinds of
people. :-) Be cool, get a good one then send him a print.

>I had a brief conversation with him and he did complain that there are too
many fancy features on his 1v (i presumed he has switched from his 1n), but
he did say the 1v is "a fantastic camera, and very fast"..... he is
obviously sold on AF!<<<

Why do you conclude he's sold on autofocus because he said, "a fantastic
camera, and very fast".....???? I bet he operates the camera on manual as
many times as he does autofocus. As do many photojournalists who understand
autofocus is merely a tool to use when it can be of major benefit under
certain conditions.

It isn't the be all to end all of making successful photographs, Jim
Nachtwey or Charlie Brown.

> To me he is a good example of a photographer who has put modern automated
> camera systems to good use. The work that he has done with his all singing
> all dancing Canon system puts to shame all of us (yes myself included) who
> have at one point or another looked at photographers using automated
cameras
> with contempt :)

I think your comments are somewhat tongue in cheek? as in below:
>>The work that he has done with his all singing all dancing Canon system
puts to shame all of us (yes myself included) who have at one point or
another looked at photographers using automated cameras with contempt :)<<<

"his all singing all dancing Canon system" <<<
WOW!  Now I bet Canon will use that line and their next ad campaign will see
a trio of photogs on stage with Mick Jagger. ;-) Playing their all singing
Canons. :-)

And as far as looking at my colleagues with contempt I don't think so,
certainly the guys and gals who really know how to use their autofocus
tools. I mean if you want to hear contempt smart ass comments you should be
around when it's a bunch of us working types and I'm the only guy loaded
with Leica. Now that's when you hear cutting remarks from the auto
everything crowd. Not the other way around. They of course don't really mean
them simply because it's the old fart they're ribbing. :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg> (Re: [Leica] M camera NOW R camera ?)
Message from "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg> (Re: [Leica] M camera NOW R camera ?)