Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm line-frame
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:57:22 +0200 (MEST)

> Also, it seems that this particular line frame is vaguely less bright
> than the others, or at least more sensitive to the angle at which I hold
> the camera in front of my eye. Sometimes it 'disappears' from view.

That's normal for an M6 rangefinder/viewfinder ... at least normal for the
one put in my M3. I can never see the vertical frameline on the righthand
side (90mm).

> This does not harm my photography too much, but kind of annoys me having
> spend quite a bit of money on a (presumably) unused camera.

Not mine either. I use the 90mm on an M2 or an M4 now-a-days.

> I am in a
> bit of a dilemma, the camera is under guarantee so I can have it
> repaired.

I'm sure it is performing up to specifications. That's what I was told
when I pointed out the problem with mine. :)

> The thing is that I have heard rumours about the repair person
> that this particular shop uses, which were not too favourable.

I suspect he would really have to try hard to mess up things like that,
ever they ever worked in the first place.

> So the
> alternative would be to leave it until it is CLA' some time in the
> future. (which was to be expected after how many months for an M6ttl?
> ;-))

If you don't drop it in puddles or concrete you should be able to get by
with 30 years or so (assuming you are using it regularly and keeping its
moving parts lean and mean) :)

> For one I would like to know if this type of distortion is familiar to
> anyone, and what might have caused it and whether repair would require
> major surgery. Next any advice on how to go about it would be welcome
> too...

It could very well be that the cause is the change from M4 to M6
rangefinder construction caused this. I don't know ... it may very well be
that if you are not lined up right so that you can see all four frame
lines, then you are not lined up right for getting an accurate distance
reading by using the focusing patch either. It is something of a moving
target, depending on how well centered, off-centered, your eye is.

It can be fixed. You probably don't want to do that if you can get a feel
for how to line your sight up when looking through the viewfinder. It's a
lot cheaper that way and an awful lot of people of managed for many years.
Not all of them happily, but ...

All the best,
Daniel

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] 90mm line-frame)