Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:07:15 -0700

David Prakel wrote:

> The back half of an Ektachrome 200 was returned with the images sliced
> neatly one third one image/two thirds the next.
>
> [...] I got a very snippy note back telling me to look at an image half
> way through the film where I'd take a view down an old street from an
> upstairs window including a black painted gutter down pipe - I was at
> fault
> for including this in shot carefully vertical as this has been seen as
> the
> frame edge by the automatic mounter and the new 'frames' cut right
> through
> it. I did at least get a free film along with the advice not to
> photograph
> vertical black drainpipes again.

This sort of techno-fetichistic stupidity makes me want to scream.
It'll be a hold week in Hell before the manufacturers of photographic
materials get to tell photographers what they are allowed to take
pictures of.  It is bad enough that the manufacturers of technology
(such as the slide mounting automation) produce something that only
manages to deal with a subset of the real world variation and screws up
when it faces anything outside that subset.  It's extremely sad when
people start defending such screw-ups.

M.

Replies: Reply from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...)