Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:54:43 -0500

>This sort of techno-fetichistic stupidity makes me want to scream.
>It'll be a hold week in Hell before the manufacturers of
>photographic materials get to tell photographers what they are
>allowed to take pictures of.  It is bad enough that the
>manufacturers of technology (such as the slide mounting automation)
>produce something that only manages to deal with a subset of the
>real world variation and screws up when it faces anything outside
>that subset.  It's extremely sad when people start defending such
>screw-ups.

What gets me is that Nikon couldn't get an export permit for the
Nikon M because is was 24x32 and MacArthur was told by Kodak that
they couldn't auto-mount slides in that size. So that came out with
the Nikon S that was 24x34 but used the right number of sprocket
holes, then came out with the Nikon S2 with 24x36.

24x32 was great. It saved film (40 frames on a 36 format) and
enlarged to better fit 4x5 paper.

Long live 24 x 32!

Sorry, wrong list. :-)

Karen Nakamura
www.photoethnography.com

p.s. For a long time, 24x36 was known as "Leica format." Other
cameras used other variations.