Subject: Re: [Leica] arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:38:47 -0500

>Sorry, Karen, but you are flat out wrong. There is no such thing as
>accuracy being covered by depth of field. Every lens has a focusing
>plane where the optical image is at its best, and even in the "cone
>of light" of the depth of field (based on the standards of the photo
>industry, that tends to be any part of the cone less than 1/30 of a
>milimeter) the sharpness falls off as you move away from that
>optimal plane of focus.

Err... I don't see how the accuracy of the *RANGEFINDER* changes
because of the lens you put on it.

The accuracy of the rangefinder remains constant regardless of the
lens. Remember, all the lens does is trigger a little cam that puts
up different framelines. You can even override those framelines if
you want.

It's a semantic point, but the rangefinder device doesn't care what
focal length lens you put on it. All it's measuring is the distance
to the subject.

If you can show how the rangefinder depends on the focal length of
the lens for its accuracy, you've won a nobel prize there.

Karen Nakamura