Subject: Re: [Leica] single malt-free MP owners
From: "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 16:54:19 -0700

Not my experience.  I've bought perhaps 25 bottles there over several years
time.  I travel to Scotland on business fairly regularly. It is more
expensive than your run of the mill shop, but the bottlings are exclusive.
Cadenhead buys selected (not all casks are created equally) entire casks
from the distillers and then ages in their own facility and then bottles
under their own label while crediting the original distiller. That is why
the price may be higher than a standard bottle from the same distillery.
Their stuff really is much better (usually) and you can get some really
arcane bottles that are simply not available anywhere else.  A Glenlivet
from Cadenheads is NOT the same stuff as from Duty Free.

I have several bottles bought there that are in the high octane catagory
(>105 proof).  Cadenhead never dilutes with water or enhances with grain
alcohol like most major brands do regularly.  You get what comes out of the
cask; unfiltered, uncolored (some of the regular bottlings from major labels
add color because many folks equate color with flavor), and undiluted.

Cadenheads is a special place for knowlegable whisky lovers. Duty free is
just the regular, available most anywhere stuff.

think I'll have a wee dram this evening!
cheers
Jack