Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing 19mm R; Kodachromes and 81 (KR) filters
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 11:49:52 -0400

Martin,

I've found the deciding factor for me in owning the 19R over the 21M is
framing accuracy. Due to parallax and the optical sloppiness of rangefinders
and supplemental viewfinders, versus an SLR screen, at long and very short
focal lengths, SLRs win. Never had trouble focusing the 19, although I do
use the regular split image screen. Shoot the 19 at 5.6 (best aperture) and
focus will not be an issue. BTW, Erwin says that the 21 ASPH and the 19 are
toss-ups, optically.

At "very great enlargement," an area where I have some experience, I would
find Kodachrome 200 unusable vs. Kodachrome 64 due to the pronounced grain
w/200. I have enlarged Kodachrome 64 shots to 4'x6' with beautiful results.

David W. Almy
Annapolis