Subject: Re: [Leica] Staying w/ film for a while - history channel
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:26:23 -0700

Have you forgotten the negative? Can you compare a digital file to a
negative
> 100 years hence?
>
> br

Well, that is a flip answer, because we were talking about prints.  I think
the liklihood of a digital file remaining for as long as there is a way to
store it is quite good.

Negatives, on the other hand are not doing too well in the area of
preservation.  Depending on how they are stored, and the base material, of
course.  We have no hundred year old negatives, but the ones from the
twenties have not fared very well.  They have not been in archival
situations for the majority of their existence, and most are quite brittle.

Those from the 1940's on are in quite good shape, but negatives on nitrate
stock are mostly dust now and unusable.

Sonny