Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Editorializing
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 19:23:14 -0700

Larry Z told us:

> With all due respect Ted, that's the way it was in the '50s.<<<<

Hi Larry,
Sorry I suppose I gave the wrong impression in response to your original
post about the 50mm lens.  When I said Bull s.... I didn't mean your
comemnts were by any means, as I was remarking on the usually visually
challenged editor whether photo editor or city desk guy.

Today I'm one of those old guys that carried only a 4X5 Speed Graphic plus
#40 flash bulbs for every picture..indoors and out! Yep there wasn't any
other way to do it.

Other than when the Sports Editor put in an assignment order sheet with...
"This is only a head shot so tell the photgrapher to make sure he brings his
"1 column camera" as that's all we need."

But we all know sports editors are usually a few frames short of a 36
exposure roll! ;-)

>It wasn't a picture paper but a big city newspaper. You know the kind,
mostly print, >no pictures other than the second coming on the front page. I
worked for the news
> department, not the sports department. Leicas were almost unknown in
newspaper
> work. We carried and used 4x5 Speed Graphics with a Heiland flash gun and
> solenoid sync shutter.<<<

Yep, been there and done it that way on a big city newspaper.

> Magazine photographers mostly used Rolleis with their 6x6 cm film size.
> European photographers used Leicas and Contaxes <<<

And these guys were my biggest influence outside of Eise on LIFE mag.

> Surely some of you old timers have memories that go back that long.<<<

You betcha and very vividly so, while shooting a football game from the side
lines getting hammered by 3-4 players as they tackled a ball carrier right
over top of me! :-) The Speed Graphic survived, but I was aching for a week.
Damn it was some unexpected collision. ;-)  And no I didn't get any kind of
picture I didn't see it coming.:-)
ted