Subject: Re: RES: [Leica] Dry chamber for storing camera gear
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 02:20:55 -0500

>The problem with dessicant(sp?) in a halliburton case is that you have to
>figure how much dessicant should be used. And it will come to a point in
>which it is fully loaded with water and will not absorb any more. So, even
>with the kinds that change color when loaded, it$B!DK(Bnot a matter of use and
>forget. A drybox will need less maintenance.

I live in Minnesota which has the climate of Siberia. High humidity
is rarely a problem, so the Zeros should do just fine. I have color
changing dessicant which  I just baked into a nice shade of blue.

In Japan, they have these little dessicant tubs about the size of a
small R camera that somehow take moisture and turn it into a liquid
that drips into the bottom half. Have you seen those? I've always
wondered how they work. Apparently you should *never* spill the
liquid inside because it will *never* evaporate. Odd.

Karen

- --
Karen Nakamura