Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 vs M3 "lag time" -- How can we find out some real numbers?
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:47:46 -0500

>Karen-
>OK - How did you measure that :-) Is this an average of a number of
>M7's? Why would an M3 be even faster? Bet in a large sampling of
>existing M3's and M7's it's not a significant difference at say 1/125th
>(standardized to a single speed, even though it shouldn't be different) ...
>What d'ya think?? I'd bet the M7 's Std. Dev. is A LOT smaller as well. ;-)

The M7 figure is from Leica.

The M7 has a small delay as the AE circuit judges the light and sets
the appropriate exposure.

The M3 has no circuitry, when the shutter is pressed, the curtains
are released. Zap.

Karen Nakamura

p.s. Note that shutter lag is very different from
shutter-black-out-time, which is what many people are referring to
with the D2 and Canon EOS 1Ds.  An SLR can have a shutter-lag of 3
seconds as it tries to focus, then a mirror black out of 67 msec.
when it finally gets around to opening the shutter.

- --
Karen Nakamura