Subject: Re: [Leica] Staying w/ film for a while - handled a D100 (and a 10D, and...)
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:48:45 -0700

At 6:57 PM -0700 8/4/03, Eric Welch wrote:
>Not true at all. If you know how to convert color photos to black
>and white properly with Photoshop, any digital camera is a good
>black and white camera. Even the old 1.3 megapixel Kodak NC 2000e
>was a pretty decent black and white camera for newspaper
>reproduction. Nice tonal range, and resolution just about adequate.
>
>Now, with the right knowledge, you can covert color digital files
>into beautiful black and white images, and with the right printer
>and inks, can pretty much match any 35mm black and white out there.
>If you have the skill and calibrated system.
>
>I know that's a lot of ifs, but the point is, it's possible.
>
>On Monday, August 4, 2003, at 03:47  PM, Henning Wulff wrote:
>
>>The only point you make which has any real validity is that there
>>are no decent B&W digital cameras nor off the shelf B&W photo
>>printers.

Yes true. Except for some Kodak camera(s) there have been no digital
B&W cameras. All digital cameras now filter through coloured filters,
use algorithms to produce 1/2 rez colour information (takes 4
photoreceptor sites), another algorithm to reextract true(r)
luminance information to produce a colour shot.

THEN, in Photoshop or whatever you are using, you use the channel
mixer or something similar to produce your colour image.

I would like to see a true B&W camera, that has no colour filters and
outputs only luminance data. The response is different than with the
approach you describe.

Yes you can get close as you describe, but there are no B&W cameras.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com