Subject: [Leica] Wildlife and shutter lag times are VERY important!!
From: "caliguri@rcn.com" <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:54:46 -0400

Thanks Doug -

That's the answer I was searching for when lag times were first
brought up. Great illustration photo as well :-) The slight, quick
reflexive
movements of wildlife CAN make or break a shot. The animal world,
outside us humans, are blessed with 'fast -twitch' neuro-muscular
junctions that we can only dream of. I guess "ya gotta see to believe!" -
and for that, most folks can just watch a hummingbird in their back
yard, or a Red Tail take a vole on the run - if they are lucky enough.
Love it!
Ed

But that's exactly what it is. If I'd had to wait for the camera to focus,
stabilize or if it took it's sweet time getting the shutter open this photo
would have been only twigs:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/prwa0.html

> And does the photographer releasing the shutter
> knowingly calculate this delay into the exact moment of
> release??

No of course not - but the more time there is between the photographer
thinking "NOW" and the shutter opening the greater the chances are
that something is going to change between the first squish of flesh on
the shutter button and the closing of the 2nd curtain.

http://mail2web.com/ .