Subject: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time"
From: David Young <dnr@horizon.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:51:13 -0700

Ted said:

>I understand what Doug Herr said when he explained about the effect of
>LAG  in the type of photography he's a master at. But if one never knew
>that "release lag existed" and still captured award winning moments does
>it make any difference knowing it or not knowing it?

Ted:

I think the reason you've never worried about "shutter lag" is that you
have been blessed with Leica's, both M's and R's.  These  are about the
fastest (ie: lowest shutter lag) cameras of their types.

Some years ago, I'd bought Rose a small P&S.  It had shutter lag so bad we
eventually threw it in the garbage - still working at factory
specs!   Trying to take photos of an active two year old was impossible,
for between the time you pressed the button and the camera actually took
the photo, not only had the kids' expression changed; often he'd left!

I have friends with small, current digi-cams that are as bad.

Nobody (I hope) thinks about shutter lag when taking a photo.  But if you
don't consider it when you choose your camera, you can run into problems later.

You "have chosen
wisely".

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Website at: www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr

Replies: Reply from David Young <dnr@horizon.bc.ca> ([Leica] "lag time" and the real world.)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time")