Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 vs M3 "lag time" -- How can we find out somerealnumbers?
From: Grégoire Vandenschrick <vandenschrick@geog.ucl.ac.be>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:41:14 +0200

I will take part of the contest, with some numbers, taken from the M7 report
of Erwin Puts, you can find it on his webpage

M7: LAG of 12ms
M6: LAG of 12 to 18ms
Konica Hexar RF: LAG of 100ms
"typical single reflex camera": LAG of 125ms (I reproduce here his numbers
AND expressions
"current digital camera": LAG of 400 to 1500ms (the current has to be taken
when his M7 report was written)

I think (but this is only my experience) that the problem with LAG is really
the blinking of the eyes. This is so rapid that I'm not shure even an ideal
no-LAG camera could avoid it. The problem becomes real I think from 1/10 of
a second (100ms) when your subject has enough time to realize that a picture
is taken, and that's, in my opinion, enough time to have the expression of a
face changed, but not in less than that.

and last, I bought a Fuji 645i for its ability to take 4.5x6 automatically
(advance, focus, and light balance) but sell it second hand because of the
enormous LAG of this camera. It was soo long, I was quite disappointed, I
thought a non reflex camera would have a minimum LAG, but this body was not
so well thought I think. (In comparisson, my Rollei 3.5F, M6 and M3 are
instantaneous, and my ancient F801-s and R8 were really fast enough to have
a lot of good views, forgeting the closed eyes ;-)

Greg VDS

ps, by the way, is the M LAG changing with the speed set?