Subject: [Leica] Worth repeating - 5 rules of Leica
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 03:39:55 EDT

After selling all my Leica stuff some time ago I feel ready to dive into the
digital arena. After extensive research of all the mid-range digicams I feel
this 5050 would suit me. I've worked out in my mind how I think I could best
adapt it to my style of photographing.
- --http://wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-leica.html
 Frankly the guy who sold all his Leica equipment really isn't a Leica
person. He never should have bought it in the first place. You use a Leica because
of its lenses, that's the first thing a Leicaman understands. No other 35mm
camera has that level of quality. Second, you use a Leica because you want
dependability year after year. Third, you use a Leica because you want the even
exposure of a focal plane shutter that runs horizontally. Fourth, you use a Leica
because there's always someone around who can repair it good as new. Fifth,
you use a Leica M because -- even the M7 -- does not permit electronics and
battery dependence to totally immobilize the camera. There are still plenty of M6s
around that are all mechanical with only advisory TTL metering.

L'Envoi: A Leica is one thing. Everything else is another. The folks who
appreciate Leicas use them. Those who don't, sell them or gloat that they own
them. It's like heaven and hell. People who wind up in either place prefer to live
one place or the other, as Bernard Shaw says. Everybody, according to Shaw,
lands in Heaven. Those who are bored with Heaven voluntarily choose the other
place. Hell is the place of eternal illusions. Heaven is the place of  those
who appreciate reality -- who are the masters of reality.

Photography can get you into deeper thinking. Which is great!

br

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Worth repeating - 5 rules of Leica)