Subject: Re: [Leica] Anyone using Edwal FG-7 with Sod. Sulfite?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 19:13:22 -0700

Jack McLain wrote:

> OK, OK... Mush is not good (I guess), but what if I reduce (greatly) the Sod
> Sulfite concentration?
>
> This mix seems to be very popular.  How come if it's so Mush-inducing?
> Jack McLain
> Tucson, AZ
> http://jackmclain-photography.dotcommunity.net

Very popular? If you get a chance to see the prints of someone locally
you'll get a better idea of how much Sulfite is the right enough for
your needs. Beutlers has 5 grams. D76 straight is 100 grams.
I'd try using it with no sulfite. A teensey weensey bit of Sulfite. Then
a more typical dose like i assume I'd say on the back of the jar. I
looks like your lens is coated with a not so thin film of Vaseline. Back
to no sulfite and magic! The lens has been cleaned by the repair person.
Mush means less sharpness. And here we are paying thousands instead of
hundreds for glass.

Glass which is sharp as heck corner to corner and wide open in most
cases certainly the more recent Asph designs. Once you fry the negative
that's it. The information is gone for good.

If you are printing 5x7's or 6x9's grain pattern is less of an issue
until it comes time to print the neg really large. Then you see where
your money is going on those lenes and your development issues. With a
loupe usually.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com