Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Second Body
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 20:55:58 -0400

Just one persons opinion, but, unless you want to pay Sherri a CLA, stay
away from a CL.  Old technology that isn't classic. I am specifically
referring to the meter mechanism and the shutter.  There are issues with
this mechanism.  A quality tech can keep them running so if you find a
CL for $300 then the $200 for a CLA is just dandy.

The CLE is aperture priority only.  Manual is just that, no meter.
These cameras are hitting the end of their life.  You might get a good
one, you might get one that dies thirty days after you buy one.  If you
can get a deal on two of them then maybe this model will be attractive.

I have already spoken my piece on the M2.  If you don't need a meter
then this camera will outlast your grandkids.  Simply beautiful finder,
wonderful action, parts upgrade to latest whatever you want possible,
see Rei's comments about his M3.  Not really bigger than a CL but far
more capable.

About that old technology comment: the Leica shutter and rangefinder are
relatively fully developed with no real improvements in forty years from
the M3 era.  Some would say the finders have gone backward in the last
25 years or so.  The M5 and the CL represented Leica trying to break new
ground.  Unfortunately for them, most users felt the earlier product
better suited their needs.  Yes, I have owned two CL', I sold them as
soon as I had my M3 again.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com