Subject: Re: [Leica] Second Thoughts on a Leica Second Body
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 22:00:07 EDT

In a message dated 8/9/03 4:24:10 PM, jerryleh@pacbell.net writes:

<<  I would hate to be constrained
to the arbitrary limits of an essentially useless camera. >>

Jerry,

The point is that the CL isn't a useless camera. It is a very fine piece of
equipment. But it requires that the photographer slightly change his or her way
of working with it. For example, we can't use a lens that extends too far
toward the meter element, so we can't use collapsable Leitz lenses. The CL
viewfinder is confined to show 40, 50 and 90mm lenses only. I've never used a 50mm
lens with it. The meter indicator needle sometimes only vaguely centers on the
shutter speed. For most Ms you can buy an eyepiece diopter lens. Only used
viewfinder diopters are available for the CL. The rubber lenshades for the 40 and
90 mm lenses deteriorate after about 20 years and there's no replacement
available. The match needle TTL meter is delicate, so you must handle the camera
with care. Loading film finds you balancing two objects tied together on a
strap.

But for that you have a brilliant viewfinder, a splendid focal plane shutter,
a film plane mechanism that holds film absolutely flat. It isn't only the
lenses that are so professional, it's the CL body that complements their
precision. Ladies and gentlemen, the CL isn't for everyone. It requires deliberate
effort to learn to use it smoothly. But the images are worth that extra patience
and acquired skills.

br

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Second Thoughts on a Leica Second Body)