Subject: [Leica] Digicam Available Light (was: PWIFLIs--Dinner with Parents)
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:03:25 -0700

At 09:38 AM 8/12/03 -0700, Afterswift, aka "br" wrote:
>In my experience a digital camera reverses film speed. I had thought that if
>I set my Oly 5050 digital to ISO 200 or 400, I could breezily shoot EL, just
>as I do with my M3 and a fast Leica 50mm lens. It didn't work that way.
>With some experimentation I discovered that I was able to get good EL shots
>with the digital by setting its ISO to Auto or 64. Digitals nowadays --
>whatever you pay for them -- need a lot of both light and battery power to
>climb up
>the Herter Driffeld curve -- if such a graph exists for a digital sensor. And
>avoid using shutter preferred mode. Use P instead, and let the digital's
>algorithms do the work. The 5050 is about the best of the prosumers out
>there now.
>But this is just one man's opinion.

"Br," this is interesting.  Could you expand upon all this a little
more?  Several of the folks here have talked about avoiding automatic
anything as a way of speeding up the shutter lag.  Depending on the camera
firmware, "P" mode might instantly choose an appropriate shutter/aperture
for the light level, or it might sit and cogitate while the subject left
the frame.

And shooting at the lowest ISO is counter-intuitive.  Auto-ISO I can
see--let the camera decide whether it needs to "turn up the gain."  In the
situation at my parents', I would have been shooting between 1/8 and 1/4 at
ISO 100.  RAW mode plus deliberate underexposure is possible in a digicam
that has RAW, but mine doesn't.  Also, your 5050 has f/1.8 max, mine is
f/2.5.  Please explain further.

The way I shot most of the posted pics was at ISO 400, low contrast, low
sharpen, aperture priority with the lens as wide as it would go for the
focal length, spot meter, focus when shutter half pressed.

http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/family/

I agree about the 5050, feature-wise.  But it was a bit too small for my
hands, and both the menus and the shutter had too much delay.

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> (Re: [Leica] Digicam Available Light (was: PWIFLIs--Dinner with Parents))