Subject: RE: [Leica] Digicam Available Light (was: PWIFLIs--Dinner with Parents) - Off topic ?
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:48:32 -0700

Aw, Karen, and to think that just last week I sent an
international-traveling co-worker of mine to your Web site with the highest
recommendations.  Be nice to me.  :-)

Seriously, I understand that this is a grey area for the LUG.  But it's one
a lot of us seem to share.  If you'll notice, I have mostly limited my
non-Leica digital posts here to pictures that I consider "Leica
style."  That is, decisive-moment, capture-the-expression shots that are my
favorite kind of photography--the kind of photography that I believe the
Leica M ideally suited for, and the very reason why the majority of photos
I've taken in my life have been shot with a Leica.

(OK, OK, so I included some digital bug portraits, too--but that was so
much fun I had to share, and I *did* use a reversed 35/2 Summicron as a
close-up lens for the head-and-shoulders shots.)

Time marches on, life gets more and more rushed, and sometimes I wish I
could do my bit without spending so much time scanning.  So I bought my
used Coolpix 990 "Unlika Leica" to learn a bit about digital, and see what
I could do with it.  It's a new way of doing things for me, and I'm
enjoying the learning.  I've commented about the differences between doing
this or that with the digicam vs. the M.  Trust me, the Coolpix isn't going
to replace the "M" anytime soon.

Do you really want me (and others) to leave the LUG to discuss this
stuff?  I consider the LUG my photographic community.  I like bouncing
ideas and images off the folks here.  I've read a number of digicam lists,
and frankly, the quality of discussion here is much higher.   Do I have to
buy an LC5 or a Digilux to be permitted to discuss digital things here?  I
might just do that anyway. I might go the Phong route, and pick up a used
DSLR and a fast prime or two.  Or I may keep things as they are.  I haven't
completely made up my mind.

Right now I'm on a digital binge.  When I start learning something new, I
go at it with a passion.  Rest assured you'll see some M photos from me
again.

- --Peter