Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: No digital comments?
From: "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:49:27 -0700

*snip*
> Even tho I can no longer travel by air with my film Leicas because of the
> intense X-ray security scans that destroys my favorite Tri-X, this too
shall pass
> away. Meanwhile I'll enplane with a digital -- whatever it is.

FWIW, I travel a lot (like ~170 flights a year) for the past 15 years, and
have noticed no degradation of my Tri-X after having gone through countless
security checks.  Film of ASA 800 or higher might begin to be a concern.

The alternative is to request a hand check. This is totally allowable.  The
way to go is to remove the film from their containers and have them in a zip
lock type  bag.  The security guy will wipe a sample couple of rolls and
scan for nitrates.  If the film is still in their containers then they will
usually open each one and it takes forever.

Jack McLain
Tucson, AZ
http://jackmclain-photography.dotcommunity.net